At Corefront we recognize and understand the dynamics and importance of your kitchen. We fully conceive that the time when you connect with your family and loved ones happens in this place over a meal. We comprehend that some of the most delicious delights and taste budding senses occurs here too. Corefront appreciates that some of life’s best moments happen here.
On a practical level we also realize that your kitchen is central to how you and your family utilize other space in your home. What would home be like without this utmost important and functioning piece.
At Corefront we treat your kitchen renovation with the utmost care. This renovation is as important to us as your valuable kitchen space is to the balance of you, your family and to the rest of your home.
Let’s talk about your kitchen renovation and what steps are required to guarantee a beautiful, functional and enjoyable kitchen that will last you years to come.
Design is perhaps the most important step before starting to construct the kitchen of your dreams. Corefront works with several premium design companies. We will hand pick which designer is the best fit for your scope of kitchen and also your personality. Our designer will spend much needed time in order to take your kitchen from concept to construction drawings.
You’ll want to carefully think over the following questions.
1. What is my budget?
- This is an investment that will last for years to come. On average custom kitchens return approx 80% or more. Return can be calculated on much more than just monetary value. Lifestyle enjoyment and use is considerable; this return on investment can only be pegged by you.
2. Think about your existing kitchen, what works for you and what doesn’t work?
- We can design an entirely new layout and even change the location of your kitchen. However if there are certain aspects that work for you it’s important to note these. We can either keep what works, improve it or duplicate it.
3. How many people at one time will be using the kitchen space on average?
- Think about immediate family use, extended family use, entertaining, holidays and the use your kitchen will demand. Is one or multiple prep stations required, who helps out and how often?
4. Are you planning on dining in your kitchen or a separate nook or dining room?
- Think about the type of entertaining you do, is it mostly formal or casual? Also consider how many people you’d like to seat within your space.
- Breakfast, lunch, dinner, social gatherings; what have you used in the past and what has or hasn’t worked for you?
- Would you like to integrate a table into your kitchen island and/or use the island as a central eating place?
5. Family time:
- Do you spend time with your children in the kitchen around the table playing games, doing homework? Would you like a TV or computer space in your kitchen, what does your family and lifestyle demand of such a space over and above “regular” use?
6. Kitchen Storage:
- Think about your storage needs in a kitchen: mixers, blenders, toasters, vitamix, breadmaker, knife sets, pots pans, trays, bowls, cheese graters, chopping boards, colanders, measuring cups and spoons, salad spinners, muffin pans, tongs, scales, utensils, dishes, table cloths, placemats, fine china and the list goes on.
- Space can make or break a beautiful kitchen. Think about all the storage that’s required and how your existing kitchen likely doesn’t have enough. Think through all the storage demands your type and style of cooking in your kitchen. Build a detailed list of everything you have and want to fit into storage. This step is important as it gives us design direction to the point where we’ll plan for storage before anything else. Our feeling is that if it doesn’t fit it won’t be functional, if it’s not functional why bother renovate?
- There is a multitude of options available to you, including some you’ve likely never experienced or realized you needed until you start researching.
- Options vary between electric cooking, gas cooking, convection cooking. Do you require a double oven, steamer, microwaves drawers, speed ovens, combo- steam ovens, warming drawers built in dishwashers, smart appliances that can you synced with your mobile phone, motorized height adjustment range hoods and built in coffee systems. These are just some of the many options available.
8. Frequency of shopping:
- Are you once a week grocery shopper or daily? This is another important question when designing your kitchen. This answer will have direct impact on refrigeration needs and storage. This also impacts pantry layout and design.
9. Style of Kitchen:
- Is your style traditional, modern, contemporary or transitional. Are you a minimalist or want a richer look. Think about your existing home style, we can design to compliment or completely stand out.
10. Color & Styles & Materials:
- Bright rich colors, dark deep colors or perhaps mix and match so you can essentiate and really make the island stand out. There are so many options which makes your kitchen come to life.
- Think about what materials don’t only look great but are easy to clean and will survive the heat and daily use received in your kitchen space. Such as a glass backsplash vs tile or natural stone vs man made.
- We generally want to maintain that “working triangle” between your stove top/oven, sink/workspace and dishwasher. Flow that works and pieces that seem natural, as you work in this space, is key to a successful kitchen renovation.
- Other important items to consider is prep sink stations, main sink locations, plumbed in pot fillers, dust pans under your cabinets.
- While in Calgary it seems we only have two seasons winter and summer. Think about what outdoor cooking and indoor cooking you do in tandem. Are you looking for hybrid solution to get that summer BBQ menu option going in the dead of winter? There’s many solutions in which we can build into your all seasons kitchen.
13. Light up your kitchen:
- No one likes a dark kitchen, however we like to create atmosphere and want options throughout the day and evening no matter what the situation.
- Many options include track lighting, built in pot lights, flood lights, back-lit backsplashes, under counter lighting, cabinet lighting and perimeter lighting under counter.
- The most exciting and most expensive decision of your kitchen renovation rests on your type of cabinet. Do you go with MDF, natural wood, stainless steel, how would you like the insides of your cabinets finished, what build in storage and accessories do you want? Do you require built ins such as china cabinets? Think magic corners, spice racks, slide out cutting boards, toe-kick drawers, and motorized drawers & doors.
Once you’ve answered these questions our designers can get quickly to work. Keep in mind that this stage takes careful consideration and our designer is along side every step of the way to ensure you have clear direction and professional advice. Next step is material selections, this ranges from tiles, wood species, hardware, trim, paint color etc.
We look forward in designing and building your kitchen. Our expertise in design, project management and construction all in one team means the kitchen of your dreams is within reach. Also see our Bathroom renovations for more great designs